- jQuery 1.9 Beta 1 Released – As an early Christmas present the jQuery Team announce the release of jQuery 1.9 beta 1. This release is in part a clean up release removing depreciated functionality, but all is not lost, the jQuery Migrate plugin will bring back many of them to allow you to begin transitioning.
- ‘Paste JSON As Classes’ in ASP.NET and Web Tools 2012.2 RC – Anand Paranjape discusses a neat feature added in the Web Tools 2012.2 Release Candidate Update which brings the ability to paste a JSON object into your web project and have it converted to a ,NET class – no more manual creation of classes for deserialisation purposes
- Elevation of Privilege: Drawing Developers into Threat Modeling – Adam Shostack shares a whitepaper discussing the principles and motivation for the creation of the Elevation of Privilege card game from the Microsoft SDL Team linked to a few issues back
- Understanding the Decorator Pattern – Abul Kayes shares a good writeup of the purpose and use of the Decorator design pattern in this CodeProject article
- Key qualities of a good unit test – Kenneth Truyers has a short series on effective unit testing – this is part two which looks at the key properties of a good unit test, something which is always worth reminding ourselves. Be sure to check out parts 1 and 3 as welll which look at writing effective tests, and testing and refactoring legacy code.
- A sample real-time web application using Ember.js, REST API, and SignalR – ‘quiit’ shares an article on The CodeProject walking through the creation of a web application using Ember.js with a REST like API and using SignalR persistent connection for realtime updating.
- Conditional loading of resources with mediaqueries – Christian Heilmann discusses some techniques for ensuring that only the CSS files needed for the particular resolution of your site are loaded when working with Responsive Web Design practices.
- CraftyCoders – CraftyCoders is a new principles focused usergroup running out of the West Midlands here in the UK. Their first meeting will be a session on Taming your Dependencies with Ian Russell looking at the practices surrounding Dependency Injection, taking place on Thursday 17 January in Bromsgrove. Signup on the Eventbrite page