- EF 4.2 Beta 1 Available - The ADO.NET Entity Framework Team announces the availability of the first beta release of Entity Framework 4.2. This release marks the start of a new versioning strategy for the EF project with version numbers taking a semantic versioning approach.
- "Windows Phone SDK 7.1 Release Candidate" on Microsoft Downloads - Greg Duncan highlights the availability of the Windows Phone SDK 7.1 Release Candidate on Microsoft Downloads. This release includes the latest version of the SDK, emulator, assemblies, XNA, WCF Data Services for Phone, and much more, and ushers Mango ever closer to RTM.
- Official site of AutoMapper launched at AutoMapper.org - Jimmy Bogard announces the launch of a dedicated site for his AutoMapper project, a library which provides a low code solution to mapping data between object instancse. The new site hosts news RSS feeds, wiki, mailing lists, and links to the source code.
- Introducing ORM Profiler. Beta-testers wanted! - Frans Bouma announces the launch of the beta of his new ORM Profiler tool, a profiler which allows you to inspect what is going on behind the scenes in your ORM. Frans is looking for beta testers of this new project, needing 25 testers who use LLBLGen Pro and 25 users using other supported data access frameworks.
- An Object Lesson in Binary Compatibility - Sharon Cichelli takes a look at the complex area of Binary Compatibility and making breaking changes to library methods by changing the return value of a method from void to returning some value / object.
- Optimization and generics, part 1: the new() constraint & Part 2: lambda expressions and reference types - Jon Skeet kicks off a new series of posts looking at some of the micro optimistaions which may give generics based code a boost in performance
- The horror of having to enforce SLAs - Ayende shares a devious use of an NHibernate Interceptor to provide some entertainment for developers when ASP.NET pages use too many queries through NHibernate, neatly illustrating an important performance consideration and also the use of Interceptors ion NHibernate.
- Embedded scripting using F# - Vladimir Ivanovskiy takes a look at embedding scripting capabilities into your application using F# as the scripting language.
- Creating an HTML 5 Game - Part - Simple Parallax Stars - The South Africa Developer and Platform Group blog continues its series looking at the creation of a game in HTML5 and related technologies, with this 3rd part exploring the creation of a parallax scrolling background.
- Should You Upgrade Your WP7 App to Mango? &Maintaining a Project with Two Windows Phone Versions - Shawn Wildermuth discusses how Fast Task Switching is the compelling reaon to upgrade your Windows Phone 7 applications to the Mango (7.1) release when it becomes available, and also looks at how you can manage versions of your application on both versions of the phone platform.
- Aberdeen Developers .Net User Group - August Meeting - The Aberdeen Developers .NET User Group are meeting this Thursday (25th August) for a session from Jessica Meats of Microsoft on SharePoint Online. The group are also meeting next month on Thursday 29th September for theirr September Meeting where Phil Leggetter will be discussing real time web applications
- Skills Matter : In The Brain of Matthew Baxter-Reynolds: XML Documents over REST Interfaces - Skills matter continue their ‘In the Brain of’ series of talks into September with a session from Matthew Baxter-Reynolds on XML oer REST interfaces on Monday 5th Septemeber, and Mary Poppendieck on the The Impact of the Pace Delivery on Monday 19th September
- Be a Part of Something Awesome… - Ben Nunney discusses the Microsoft Student Partner programme which gives students a way to get the inside track on Microsoft, gain training opportunities, and useful experiences for later working life