I had a great time at SQLbits this weekend in South Wales, it was nice to meet up with friends old and new, and to learn a thing or two about SQL along the way. Congratulations to the organisers for another excellent event.
- MockingBird v1 RTM – Santosh Benjamin announces the release of MockingBird V1, a set of tools for mocking web services, providing a useful tool for testing, and for developing against web services based on WSDL alone with no concrete implementation.
- Lot’s of new software for IIS, ASP.NET, AJAX and PHP this week – ‘BillS’ highlights a number of releases from PDC week for the Microsoft Web Platform, including a number of IIS add-ins and some PHP on Windows related additions
- TestApi v0.4 Released! – Ivo Manolov announces the release of TestApi v0.4 a collection of test supporting Apis, and the 0.4 release brings a number of new APIs for detecting memory leaks, object comparison, test text string generation.
- PDC09 Session Downloader – Frank La Vigne shares a simple tool to download all the PDC videos from the PDC site. The program offers limited support for resuming, as it will download any missing files without overwriting any existing files. Bear in mind that these videos are pretty big, so ensure you are on a fast unmetered connection before downloading. Frank has also released the PDC09 Downloader Source Code for his program
- IronRuby – Release: 1.0 RC1 – The IronRuby Team release V1.0 RC1 on CodePlex. This release. So far I’ve only seen mention of this release on Twitter, so don’t have any details of what is new / changed in this release
- T4MVC 2.5.01: added support for Html.RenderAction and Html.Action – David Ebbo releases the latest minor update to his T4 Template Library for ASP.NET MVC which adds in support for the two new ASP.NET MVC 2 beta features Html.RenderAction and Html.Action
- RIA Services: A DomainService IS A WCF Service – Add Service Reference – Brad Abrams talks about how a RIA Domain Service is actually a WCF Service, following on from his PDC talk, and looks at using a Domain Service to query, retrieve and save data.
- What’s all this nonsense about Katas? – ‘Uncle’ Bob Martin talks about the recent interest in coding Katas, talking about the origin of this use, and the reasons you might want to do them, afterall may other professionals practice, and also talks about performing katas
- Let’s write a simple .NET 4 Location-aware application! – Gavin Gear demonstrates the use of the .NET 4 location services which allow you to obtain the location of the user if they have a supported GPS unit.
- WPF TreeView Memory Consumption and Performance – ‘PermanentTan’ shows a useful attribute of the WPF TreeView which allows you to drastically reduce the memory use of the TreeView, especially useful for large TreeViews
- Keeping CSS Files DRY with .less – K. Scott Allen explores the use of the .less CSS library based on the LESS for Ruby implementation, which allows you to apply the DRY principle to your CSS by having Variables, Mixins, Operations, and Nested Rules which get expanded by a custom HttpHandler
- T4 Templates and the answer to life, the universe and everything – Eric Nelson continues his series of post on the Entity Framework 4 with a look at the Text Template Transformation Toolkit (AKA T4 Templates) and their use in EF4. Eric also highlights Tangible T4 Editor – a life saver – an addin which brings good syntax highlighting and intellisense to VS2010
- Validating business objects with AOP (3: UI with ASP.NET MVC + xVal) – Thomas Weller continues his series on Aspect Oriented Programming based validation using the ValidationAspects library for PostSharp. This part of the series looks at feeding the validation back in the UI of the application using ASP.NET MVC and xVal
- Unit Testing and Integration Testing in business applications – Omar Al Zabir shares a number of examples and practices which, when applied, can help to produce tests for N-Tier applications which add confidence
- CQRS – The Domain Events – Mark Nijhof discusses the role of Domain Events in Command Query Responsibility Segregation code, showing their role in managing the state changes of the aggregate roots
- The trouble with soft delete – Richard Dingwall talks about the different techniques for implementing Soft Deletes, looking at the use cases, and some software patterns which offer similar capabilities
- NHibernate and Composite Keys – Anne Epstein takes a look at the use of composite keys when working with NHibernate, highlighting some of the problems they can cause and showing how you can get them working
- Command Line Parsing with Mono.Options – New addition to Devlicio.us, Rob Reynolds shows how the Mono.Options library brings powerful command line argument parsing to your .NET command line applications
- Combining NHibernate, NH Spatial and SQL Server 2008 Fulltext Queries – Jak Charlton shares some details of how he got NHibernate working with the NHibernate Spatial additions, and Sql2008 Full Text searches
- Caliburn Hello World – Christopher Bennage shares a HelloWorld example of using the Caliburn UI showing how to get up and running with the patterns in the library
- LIDNUG: Online chat with me Monday Nov 23rd – Scott Guthrie highlights the Linked In .NET User Group’s virtual event to be held today 11:30am PST where Scott will be talking about the new things announced at PDC, and will be taking questions on anything.