- Windows Azure: Staging Publishing Support for Web Sites, Monitoring Improvements, Hyper-V Recovery Manager GA, and PCI Compliance & Announcing PCI DSS compliance and expanded ISO certification for Windows Azure, general availability of Windows Azure Hyper-V Recovery Manager and other updates to Windows Azure – Scott Guthrie and Steven Martin announce the Mid January Windows Azure platform update, including the news that the Windows Azure Platform is now validated for PCI DSS Compliance, introducing staging support for Windows Azure Websites, along with improved monitoring and recovery.
- Programmers, Teach Non-Geeks The True Cost of Interruptions – Erik Dietrich gives one of the best explanations I’ve seen about the cost of interruptions for developers – one to refer people to when the interruptions get too much. Also well worth remembering that this is not a problem that is unique to developers either.
- 10 Quick and Easy Fixes to Reduce Page Weight – Craig Buckler discusses the increase in average web page size in the past year, and shares 10 tips to help reduce the size of your web pages.
- Big Data Search – Ayende sets the scene for his latest interview question about working with big data volumes in native C#, the follow-up to this will be interesting where he will discuss his own solution to this problem.
- Scaling-out SQL Server disks and data files on Windows Azure Virtual Machinesâ€¦a real-world example – Tim Wieman discusses some real world scaling performed on a Windows Azure Virtual Machine SQL Server instance, looking at ensuring that the disk subsystem provided is capable of the workload.
- Tiny Framework for Parallel Computing – Igor Ladnik discusses a framework he created to mange work through distributed processes, sharing code and demo applications.
- SegregatedDOM – Martin Fowler discusses another pattern, this time focused on Single Page Web Applications, and controlling, segregating and modularization the DOM to better organise the application.
- I’m pwned, you’re pwned, we’re all pwned – introducing domain wide searches – Troy Hunt discusses his latest feature introduced to "You’ve ben pwned", and along the way discusses a variety of interesting techniques for verification of the owner of a domain.
- It’s all free! Here’s $500 for your user group, all the swag you want, and free Facebook advertising. No catch. Really – Jerry Nixon highlights the support that Microsoft make available to Microsoft focused User Groups