- Modern UI Data Visualization Toolkit - Mahmoud Medhat Moussa announces his recent project, the creation of data display controls for Modern UI applications, available on CodePlex. The library brings a number fo data visualization controls and charts to your applications, and looks well worth checking out.
- Download: Book Download: Exploring CQRS and Event Sourcing - The CQRS Journey Patterns and Practices team (Dominic Betts, Julián Domínguez, Grigori Melnik, Fernando Simonazzi, Mani Subramanian) have now released the accompanying book, available from the Microsoft Downloads site as an e-book. Learn about designing and building CQRS and Event Sourcing applications using iterative development, and updatring / upgrading a live CQRS application.
- Windows Azure Virtual Machine Test Drive Kit - Clint Edmonson highlights the Windows Azure Virtual Machine Test Drive Kit and the general availability of the Virtual Machine hosting in Windows Azure, allowing you to run your own machine images in the Azure cloud. The Test Drive Kit contains a collection of learning resources to help you get the best out the this new feature.
- Experimenting with Windows Azure Mobiles Services (Round 2) - Mike Taulty continues his look at the Windows Azure Mobile Services, exploring working with data in more detail, looking at combining data from multiple tables.
- Scripting Web API self host with Roslyn CTP - Part 1 - Filip W.takes a look at combining ASP.NET Web API with the Roslyn Compiler as a service project to create a WebAPI based services which are created by a script, looking at how you can use Roslyn to provide the scrip environment and use WebAPI’s self hosting capabilities.
- Use Less, Sass and Compass with ASP.NET MVC - Ugo Lattanzi takes a look at working with Less, Sass and Compass in your ASP.NET applications, looking at automating the compilation stage which creates the actual CSS for your application
- When to Not Use Observable in KnockoutJS - Shawn Wildermuth discusses the binding of controls to data contained in objects and back again in Knockout based applications, highlighting that you don’t always need to use observable to do this.
- Things we learned from production, part III - singleton thinking makes long queues - Ayende continues discussion of some of the lessons the RavenDB team have learned from having the application in production, discussing the dangers and performance pitfalls of singletons and global locks.
- Free two day virtual/online/instructor led course, Oct 10-11, "Develop Windows 8 Apps and prep for the exams 70-480 and 70-481" - Greg Duncan highlights a free virtual course where Jeremy Foster and Michael Palermo will be covering Windows 8 Application development. The event is two days, (10th and 11 October, and the training is live, running between 9am and 4pm PST, and best of all its completely free.