Update: Corrected the Version Number for Windows Phone on the comment for TouchDevelop - Thanks to Ian for letting me know in the comments
I had a splendid time this weekend at the Developer Developer Developer South West Conference. Many thanks to the organisers and attendees for making it so great. Special thanks to all the people who came to my session on Web Sockets and SignalR - I will be posting the slides and demo code online at some point this week.
- Announcing TouchDevelop v2.8: structured datatypes, tags, pages+buttons, better api search, featured screenshots, and more! - Nikolai Tillmann announces the 2.8 release of TouchDevelop, a neat Windows Phone
67 application which allows you program Windows Phone from the phone device. This release adds structured datatypes (records), updated help, pages and buttons, and much more
- IIS Transform Manager 1.0 Released! - John Deutscher announces the 1.0 release of the IIS Transform Manager, an extension which handles the transformation of media between types as required by clients
- Visual Studio 11 Performance: Improvements in Typing and Editing Responsiveness - Larry Sullivan of the Visual Studio Team discusses the significant efforts which have been made to improve the performance of the code editor in the next release of Visual Studio 11
- OData submitted to OASIS for standardization - Pablo announces the news that a consortium (Microsoft, Citrix, IBM, Progress software, SAP and WSO2) have proposed the OData format for standardisation
- Developing and Deploying Node.js Express Web App on Windows Azure - Shiju Varghese takes a look at the development of application using Node.js, and looks into the deployment story for Node applications onto the Windows Azure Platform.
- Porting apps to Windows 8 Metro - Jennifer Marsman discusses the porting of existing application from other platforms onto the Window8 Metro platform, highlighting resources targeting applications of different types.
- .NET 4.5 Baby Steps, Part 8: AppDomain wide culture settings - Earlier this month Robert MacLean was posting a series looking at the new features and changes in .NET 4.5. The linked article here is part 8 of the series looking at a change in culture settings. The others in the series are worth checking out too.
- 7. Workflows - A Monad alias - Dorian Corompt continues this series looking at functional programming concepts and exploring how they apply in F#, taking a look at monads in this psot.
- A gentle introduction to Backbone with jQuery - Rocky Jaiswal gives a nice introduction to working with jQuery and Backbone.js walking through a short sample.
- Types of Duplication in Code - John Sonmez discusses three different types of code duplication which can occur in applications, looking at simple refactoring which can help to address the duplication.