Slightly less PDC content than I was expecting today, no real announcements, just more detail about what has been release.
I’m really looking forward to the SQLBits goes west community event this weekend - if you happen to spot me there please come over and say Hi.
- Videos :: Microsoft PDC09 - Videos from a number of the sessions at PDC are available on the PDC website for on demand viewing mostly in WMV and WMV High quality formats with the odd one in MP4. Slide decks are also available for most.
- ASP.NET MVC 2 Custom Validation - Phil Haack continues his series of posts looking at the new features of the ASP.NET MVC 2 Beta released at PDC. In this post Phil explores custom validation using a worked example to show how you can build attributes to implement your validation rules and how the framework utilises them. Phil Haack is also the featured guest on show 188 of Hanselminutes where Scott Hanselman talks with him about the beta release
- News on the ASP.NET Ajax Library Beta - James Senior highlights the release of the ASP.NET Ajax Library Beta and discusses how this is the first Microsoft project contributed to the CodePlex Foundation, how the Ajax Control Toolkit was merged into the ASP.NET Ajax Library, and the future of the library. James also points at a number of other posts about the various features the library offers
- Silverlight 4 beta released at #PDC09 - Laurent Bugnion talks about the Silverlight 4 Beta and the new features and asks a question that is on most peoples lips - ‘what happens with WPF?’
- Rundown of Silverlight 4 Beta Features and 6 Hands on Labs - Adam Kinney highlights 6 newly posted hands on labs for Silverlight 4 features such as the WebCam support, image browser, out of browser, and rich text editor.
- Using WIF on a WCF Client - The “Geneva” Team Blog discusses the use of Windows Identity Framework (WIF) with Windows Communicator Foundation (WCF), looking at the extensions that have been made for working with Security Token Services
- The PDC Is Over; Here Comes the SDP - Sasha Goldshtein provides an index post to all his PDC session postings and highlights the Sela Developer Practice, an Israel based event in December which aims to bring the content of PDC to Israeli developers
- Silverlight 4 Security Overview White Paper - Nick Kramer shares a white paper on the security implementation in Silverlight 4 which discusses the way security is implemented along with a glimpse into the reasoning for the way certain features work.
- Introducing: The Agatha Project - Davy Brion gets permission from his employer, Item Solutions, to release their implementation of the Request Response Layer as a project called Agatha.
- .NET Reflection Made Fast & Simple - Fasterflect 1.1 Release - Buu Nguyen announces the release of Fasterflect 1.1 a library which provides reflection capabilities with simpler code usage and enhanced performance over the standard .NET reflection.
- Exploring Spark View Engine for ASP.NET MVC - Part 3 - Al Nyveldt has been taking a look at the Spark view engine this week with three posts on the subject. This 3rd post gives a glance into Conditionals, Viewdata and Iteration, the previous posts exploring the role of the view engine and getting started with basic markup and master layouts
- Take 2: Why we use SOLID in static languages and how we get the same functionality for cheap in dynamic languages - Ryan Svihla continues his discussion of how development practices change when working with dynamic languages by looking at how the SOLID principles are provided for in dynamic languages
- Always write a spec, part one - Eric Lippert talks about the art of writing technical specifications of how code should work, illustrating how the process can go with a recent compiler related example which contained bugs in the specification
- 30 “Quick Hit” Videos for folks that couldn’t join us at PDC - Joe Stagner shares 30 short videos offering previews of various ASP.NET 4 and Visual Studio 2010 features which give a taste of the features being demoed at PDC
- Design Patterns Are Not Outdated - Steve Rowe picks up a theme which has been cropping up suggesting that some of the design patterns are solving out dated problems, and Steve sets about explaining why this isn’t really the case
- ASP.NET MVC and Windows Azure (November 2009 edition) - Jim Nakashima looks at how the latest release of the Microsoft Azure Tools for Visual Studio make it much easier to run ASP.NET MVC applications on the cloud
- Getting Started with Entity Framework 4 - Templated Code Generation - Eric Nelson continues his series of posts on the Entity Framework 4 with a look at its use of T4 templates to generate the necessary code from the Entity Data Model.
- More debugging videos and a Resource List from my TechED and Oredev sessions on debugging asp.net applications - Tess Ferrandez shares a number of resources from her recent presentations on debugging ASP.NET applications, along with highlighting some other sessions she enjoyed at those events
- ASP.NET 4.0: Writing custom output cache providers - Gunnar Peipman takes a look at a new ASP.NET 4 feature - the ability to implement your own output caching via a provider interface, showing a complete working example (source provided)
- Developer Day Scotland 2010 - Scottish Developers announce the free Developer Day Scotland event for 2010 to be held on the 8th May 2010 at Glasgow Caledonian University. Along with announcing the event the are also issuing a call for speakers for the event so iof you want to present get your sessions abstracts in. I attended last year’s event and enjoyed it immensly
- Europe Virtual ALT.NET: Recording of Mark Nijhof on CQRS @ E-VAN 18 November 2009 - Jan Van Ryswyck makes available the recording of the Virtual European Alt.Net Meeting from earlier this week where Mark Nijhof spoke about Command Query Responsibility Segregation